Here are a few quick ideas to eliminate 300-500 calories from your diet each day which will help you lose up to an extra pound a week:
1) Take a 1/2 cup of blueberries and mash them up and then spread them on your whole wheat toast instead of butter, margarine or a sugar laden jam. Great antioxidant power and fruit exchange without the fat or the added sugar!
2) When choosing condiments, choose not to use condiments. Substitute a couple ripe avocado slices for mayonnaise and mustard. The avocado will add nutrients, antioxidants and unsaturated fats to your sandwich; plus it has same creamy texture and added flavor of a spread like mayonnaise or mustard.
3) Get rid of the breakfast bars. Make a double batch of morning glory muffins (you can freeze them and thaw them out a few days at a time) and use this low-fat, low sugar, high fiber item as your new grab-and-go breakfast and/or afternoon snack. Get into a habit of eating a morning glory muffin and veggies like carrots, apples and crushed pineapple for breakfast.
4) Get rid of the chips! Snack on fresh cut veggies instead of chips and pretzels. Keep cut veggies in the frige as well as some fresh salsa and hummus. Dip your carrots, celery, peppers, cucumbers, endive, etc. and enjoy.
5) Make tuna and chicken salad without mayonnaise or heavy dressings. Create a tuna or chicken salad using shaved red onion, white or black beans and diced avocado. Add a spoonful of fresh salsa, a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper and you have a low calorie lunch. Eat it with iceberg lettuce leaves instead of bread and you have an even lower calorie lunch or snack!
Eliminating or replacing just a few items a week with lower calorie options will go a long way toward meeting your weight loss goals.
About the Author: Lauren Lorenzo is an owner and Director of Training and Operations at Operation Boot Camp of North America. She is a graduate of JamesMadisonUniversity, an AFAA certified group fitness instructor, ACE certified personal trainer, certified Power Pilates instructors, and certified turbo kick instructor with over 11 years of experience. Lauren has taught classes at Atlanta Kick, The White House Athletic Center, The GreenbrierAthleticCenter, BaltimoreAthleticCenter and Athletic Club Northeast. She is currently pursuing her masters in nutrition.
Edited by: Sarah Mansfield
Operation Boot Camp is a 30 day fitness program with the mission to help people get fit through positive changes in nutrition, exercise and attitude. For more information on Operation Boot Camp, please visit www.operationbootcamp.com.